Flow


Flow is the state of being that we operate in when we are at our peak performance. Athletes refer to this as “the zone.” When we are in flow we are in the perfect state that operates between anxiety and boredom. When this perfect spot is met we are then in flow. When we observe someone who is in flow, what they are doing appears to come to them effortlessly. They move through their task with skill, passion and ecstasy. Some people, when they come out of this state of being, cannot even really recall what they were doing while they were doing it. These individuals are operating on such a higher level of emotional intelligence that what they are doing seems to, well…flow. A lot of artists, musicians and highly skilled intellectuals can describe this experience as an almost “out-of-body” experience. But we have all experienced this on some level. I am sure you can think of a time when you did something and looked back on it and was really impressed with your performance, when you really couldn’t explain how you did it so well. We have all experienced times where we were in “the zone.”
What I would like to propose here is the possibility that we could operate within this prime state of being with our relationship with God. Can we possibly reach the point with our relationship with Him that our mind, body and soul are operating at such a level that to other’s it seems effortless? Could we possibly reach a point in our relationship with God where we are completely balanced between our worries, anxieties and apathy? I mean really consider this. This is a real state of being. Science knows enough about this brain state to know that the emotional mind seems to have come into complete compliance with the intellectual mind…meaning these two different parts of our brain are working together in complete harmony.
There are ways that we can get ourselves into flow. One way is have a fierce focus that is also calm. This of course is very difficult to accomplish. You have to be able to put everything aside, calm yourself and bring all of your attention into that one particular task. Imagine operating at such a peak that you are both calmly and fiercely focused on God.
Another way to enter flow is to find your optimal level of anxiety. In order to enter flow one must be at a certain level of anxiety. One must not be too anxious because that would cause them to lose their focus. But one must also be anxious enough to be motivated to accomplish the task at hand. That is the perfect level of “I care too much” and “I don’t care at all.” Imagine being there with God, where you have that perfect mind set.
Flow can be entered into more easily when you have spent a lot of time learning about the task you are about to attempt. Musicians who practice a lot experience this state of being more frequently during performances than those who practice less. Imagine spending so much time in prayer, studying the Word and spending time in His presence that you can enter into flow with Him constantly.
Another thing about flow that you need to know is that if you are passionate about the task at hand, you can enter into flow more readily. Artists who paint for the pure passion of it, experience flow more often than those who approach it with ideas of fame and fortune. So think about how passionate you are about God. Think about your intentions behind your actions. If you don’t have passion about your relationship with Him and Godly, humble intentions, then the possibility and frequency of flow decreases.
Let me be transparent here. If this can be achieved in my relationship with God I most certainly want to be there. I cannot imagine being so focused on God that it is almost effortless. That I am so filled with the task at hand that I lose focus on nothing else but God; where I am so zeroed in on Him that I am operating at my peak with Him constantly.
I know that I have been there at times though. There have been moments where I have approached a situation exactly as He wanted me to and I was astounded with myself. There have been times where I was so caught up in His presence that everything else went away and I was just in this state of being where everything was as it should be. But I do not know if it is possible to operate at this level all the time. I mean I know in heaven one day we will be constantly in flow with God, but what if we could reach that point in our lives and operate in that, on a constant level now? I cannot even begin to imagine the things that could be accomplished in His name. To be constantly in flow with God would be…amazing!
I will repeat myself here: I do not know for myself whether or not this state of being can be obtained in my relationship with God constantly while here on this earth. But one thing is for certain, I am most definitely going to try. Are you with me?

Reference: Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Finding Life © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects