A Woman's Value


What do you see when you look at me?
The few extra pounds I never lost after baby number three?
Or perhaps the lines and wrinkles that have arrived with time?
Or the scars from the crash whose fault was all mine,
Bad decisions, too many drinks, a ditch and a tree.
And with each passing day I’m bound by the guilt, never to be free.

What about me? Do you notice my youthful body’s charms?
Pageants, recitals, and lessons with trainers, I bet I set off all of your alarms.
But late at night when the crickets sing their song,
I feel empty inside, like I don’t belong.
Tomorrow they will glare, jealous of the trophies in my arms,
But I don’t want to hurt them, I would rather do myself harm

How about me? Do you recognize my face?
I stand strong, never wavering, managing crisis, putting criminals in their place.
There’s no room for fear when you’re a woman in a man’s job.
Not even when they held me down, ripped my clothes, left me beaten, raped and robbed.
A secret abortion, my husband can’t know how much I’ve been disgraced.
I can’t tell anyone of this pain, horror and distaste.

Now I know you know me, we spoke the other day.
We were in the same checkout line, my kids were loud and wanted play.
I saw the glance you gave my haggard appearance,
What you don’t know about is all the interference.
I just lost my dad, my husband has no job and all I’ve done is pray,
But I won’t take your invitation to church, not with you looking at me that way.

Hi. I wonder, have we met?
I’m fresh out of college, haven’t even got my feet wet.
I fought so hard, the first in my family to get this far,
It's a lot of pressure and I'm not sure I can reach the bar.
I've thought about giving up, but everyone says I would live to regret,
So with a terrified heart I'll keep trying, get ready…get set…

We’ve all have been crumpled, stomped and drowned.
We’ve all been knocked so hard we couldn’t find the ground.
Our crowns may look worn, battered, chipped and beaten,
But they are crowns all the same, their appearance has not cheapen.
So lift your head, open your heart, His mercies are abound,
God says you’re His daughter and your value in Him is found.

1 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Miranda. You have a wonderful gift. Never stop using it! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Finding Life © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects